Thursday, November 28, 2013

Homemade Cranberry Sauce/Relish

Growing up, I had only had the canned jelly cranberry sauce.  As an adult, I found an interesting recipe in The Joy of Cooking cookbook.  Homemade cranberry relish.  Hmmmm.  That's interesting.  Using actual cranberries to make cranberry sauce/relish (I still call it sauce). I tried it, and it's been a huge hit. It's so easy, there's no reason for me to not make it.  I just do it the day before and chill it for our meal.  

I at least double it.  I like to buy 3 pound bags and make a huge batch and then can it.  My kids LOVE it on their pancakes throughout the year. 


Whole Cranberry Relish
The Joy of Cooking
 
Combine in a large skillet:
 
1 lb cranberries, picked over
2 c sugar (or 1 1/2 c honey)
1/2 c water
1/2 c orange juice
2 tsp gratedorange zest
 
Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until most of the cranberries pop open and the nixture is somewhat thickened, 7-10 minutes.
 
Let cool and serve, or refrigerate up to 1 day.
 
* makes about 3 cups


No comments:

Post a Comment