Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Water Kefir Soda

Over the last year I have been playing with water kefir grains. The kefir water is great tasting, in my opinion. My kids say the kefir water alone has an apple juice taste. It does carry the fermented, or slightly alcoholic, taste. However, I find it generally a pleasant flavor. It can get slightly overpowering if you allow it to ferment too long. The water tastes more like beer. The soda like wine.

Kefir is very good for you. It's a super probiotic drink. I like the soda because I can substitute it in our house as a healthy pop. One without HFCS. One that I know what is in it.

Here is how I make kefir soda.

I start with about 1/4 cup of kefir grains.



I put them in a quart jar and add 2 cups if room temperature water. *Make sure the water is not tap water, as the chemicals and fluoride will kill your grains.* Take 1 cup of hot water and dissolve 1/2 cup sugar (raw, white, brown, etc...) in it. I usually add a Tbsp of unsulfured molasses as well to give the grains minerals. Cool then add to the jar of grains. Don't add it hot because too hot of temperatures will kill the grains. Cover with a cloth, or unscrewed lid. The grains will produce carbonation. If you screw the lid on, the jar will explode.

Let sit 24-48 hours.

When it is ready the grains will release a good amount of bubbles as you move the jar. If you added molasses, the water will be a lighter color as well.

Now you want to strain the grains from the water. Use plastic because metal will react with the grains and can cause them to mold. Bad stuff if that happens. I use a very small holed plastic strainer.

Reserve the strained kefir water in a pitcher or bowl.

In a glass bottle with a resealable flip top (such as EZ cap bottles), or easier and cheaper - clean plastic soda bottles, add juice. I eyeball it. I'll usually add about 1/4-1/2 cup of juice per quart of kefir water. In a 2 Ltr soda bottle, it's just above the first line by the 'feet' on the bottle. Then fill it within a couple inches of the top with kefir water. Cap, shake, and set aside for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, check the fizz level. Shake the bottle. Give it a minute. If you used plastic soda bottles, you can tell when they are hard. With glass bottles you'll want to vent them. If it fizzes up, it should be ready. You can taste it to see if it's what you want. If not, cap it and let it sit another 24 hours.

Rinse the kefir grains you strained previously with filtered water.

Then repeat the steps.


The kefir grains will multiply rather quickly. You can slow them down by putting them in the refrigerator. You can also eat them in smoothies, incorporate them in breads, feed them to livestock, and add them to your compost bin.





3 comments:

  1. I had never even heard of Kefir before this post. Thanks for the enlightenment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so amazing. They make for a healthy alternative to soda.

      Delete
  2. Wow, your water kefir grains are HUGE. What is your secret? Could it be the molasses? My goal is to grow happy HUGE water kefir grains.

    ReplyDelete